- The goal of the tempo run is what I call ‘comfortably hard’.
- You know you’re working, but you’re not racing.
- At the same time, you’d be happy if you could slow down.
So, the point is to sustain a run at 85% of your all-out effort. Hard but not kicking your butt altogether.
- You should be able to ask a simple question aloud “Is this pace OK?” but not have a conversation.
- My personal recommendation is that you pick a cadence and have the metronome on but only for the first 2-3 minutes. After that, it’s your internal clock. If you use RunTempo on the iphone, it has a timer option where you can have it run for a preset time and then shut off (and it will play over your music). Your call on cadence as long as it’s >= 90/180.
- Since you’re not altogether maxed out, you should be able to keep your form tight if not perfect.